* On May 31, I am moderating a discussion with Harold McGee and Maxime Bilet on the evolution of the science of food between On Food and Cooking and Modernist Cuisine at the World Science Festival.
* On May 4, I am speaking on the Cookbook + Art panel at the 2013 Food Book Fair in Brooklyn.
* In April, I moderated the launch plenary session at the International Association of Culinary Professionals‘ conference in San Francisco, featuring Thomas Keller, Peter Kaminsky, and Maxime Bilet on the topic of Examining the Divide Between “Dirt” and “Digital.” I also participated in a panel organized by Ken Albala, with Maxime Bilet and Sandor Katz, on Hi-Tech/Lo-Tech in the Kitchen.
* On March 12, I am moderating a Culintro panel on reinvention and finding success, with panelists Alex Stupak of Empellon, Daniel Holzman and Michael Chernow of the Meatball Shop, and Georgette Farkas of Rotisserie Georgette.
* On February 8, 2013, I’ll be speaking on a panel about cookbooks as works of art at the 2013 Roger Smith Cookbook Conference in New York.
* On December 5, I am excited to moderate another Culintro panel, on restaurant expansion. Panelists are chefs Michael White of the Altamarea Group, Danny Bowein of Mission Chinese Food, and Andy Ricker of Pok Pok. More info here.
* On October 21, I will be giving a presentation with Cesar Vega at the Molecular Cuisine: The Politics of Taste conference organized by the School of Visual Arts. Our talk is titled What is Culinary Innovation? Perspectives at the Crossroads of the Kitchen and the Laboratory.
* On October 9, I will be a panelist at LeadDog Marketing Group’s #BARK panel, The Business of Eating: How Social Media Sells More Food.
* Sixth printing for Les Petits Macarons!
* On June 22, I’ll present “Je sauce donc je suis: An Examination of the Professional and Creative Identity of Chefs Through the Sauces They Make” at the 2012 international conference of the Association for the Study of Food and Society in New York.
* A conversation with Mitchell Davis, vice president of the James Beard Foundation and food studies colleague from NYU, is always guaranteed to stimulate and help me think through my research and work. So it was a real treat to be a guest on his weekly Heritage Radio Network show, Taste Matters, on May 23, 2012. You can download the podcast here.
* On Saturday, May 6, 2012, I am moderating a panel on food + porn at the Food Book Fair, with panelists Gael Greene, Josh Ozersky, Danyelle Freeman, and Alyssa Shelasky. The organizers’ official description: “As food imagery has become more and more prevalent in academia, the arts, and mass media, the rise of the term “Food Porn” has gained increasing popularity. Yet, food porn, much like traditional forms of pornography, has a wavering definition. What is food porn exactly? What is the relationship to food and sex? Is there one and what does it matter? Hear the answers from a gathering of experienced food writers, critics, and TV personalities in FOOD + PORN.”
* Are you attending the 2012 IACP conference in New York, March 29-April 2? I will be moderating a panel on what we need to know about modernist cuisine with panelists Maxime Bilet, co-author of Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Food; White House pastry chef Bill Yosses; Aki Kamozawa and Alex Talbot of Ideas in Food; and Cesar Vega, research manager at Mars Botanicals and co-editor of The Kitchen as Laboratory); hosting an “experts are in” session on scholarly food programs with Mitchell Davis, vice president of the James Beard Foundation; and conducting a workshop on macarons with my co-author, Kathryn Gordon.
* Les Petits Macarons is in its fourth printing!
* On February 28, 2012, I am moderating a panel on How I Became A Chef for Culintro. Panelists are Harold Dieterle of Perilla, Gavin Kaysen of Cafe Boulud, and Rory Schepisi of Boot Hill Saloon.
* Les Petits Macarons was featured in the Wall Street Journal on October 21, 2011.
* Kathryn Gordon and I talked about Les Petits Macarons on Linda Pelaccio’s A Taste of the Past radio show on Heritage Radio Network.
* I am on the program committee for the 2012 conference of the International Association of Culinary Professionals, which will take place in New York March 30-April 2. Send in your ideas!
* What role do science and industry play in changing our food system? Three food scientists and I tackle the topic in “In Defense of Food Science” in the summer 2011 issue of Gastronomica.
* I am the special issues editor for Fine Cooking Breakfast.
* Culinary Careers, the book I wrote with ICE’s Rick Smilow, is out!
* Is there such a thing as food porn? Read what academics and chefs have to say about the topic in the 10th anniversary issue of Gastronomica, in a forum I moderated.